I love having pickled cabbage on hand in the fridge because it's a quick vegetable ready for any meal. Makes one large jar and lasts up to a month refrigerated. It is excellent for gut health too which is a huge topic here in New Zealand. It is almost both a prebiotic and probiotic.
1 shredded cabbage
140g sea salt
40ml cider vinegar
200ml Red wine
1/2 cup of sugar
2 tsp of crushed black pepper
6 bay leaves
2 Tbsp of whole grain mustard
1. In a colander or sieve sprinkle red cabbage with salt and leave for 2-3 hours.
2. Drain and wash away the salt. Squeeze excess moisture out using a muslin cloth
3. Put vinegar, wine, sugar pepper and bay leaves into a big saucepan and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, then remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Remove bay leaves and add sauce to the cabbage along with the mustard and mix
5. Transfer and store in a large sterilised jar
6. Enjoy served with fish, sausage, schnitzel, in sandwiches, It makes a great replacement for coleslaw.